Troubles, like babies, grow larger by nursing.
How do you feel when someone unloads all of his problems and complaints on you? Not very uplifting and energizing, is it? The truth is, nobody likes to be around a complainer — except, perhaps, other complainers.
Self-pity is an acid which eats holes in happiness.
The secret of happiness is to count your blessings while others are adding up their troubles.
Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.
(1) Definitions of ‘spirituality’ in the Oxford English Dictionary run to several pages. This is largely because the word ‘spirit’ has many meanings. These include a sense of loyalty or cohesion (‘team spirit’), an emotional state (‘in high spirits’), a deeper sense of meaning (‘the spirit of the law’), certain chemicals (‘white spirit’) and, of course, strong alcoholic beverages (‘spirits’). There are many interpretations of spirituality, and they all relate to things outside the realms of physical nature or matter. Spirituality goes beyond the appearance of things to their underlying principles or forces. Living spiritually doesn’t necessarily mean following a particular religion, but it does infer understanding that the universe has some order and that the creative force behind it (whatever that may be) is intelligent and purposeful. Spirituality is highly practical. It is about finding meaning and purpose in an apparently imperfect world then using what we learn to create happy, healthy, prosperous and fulfilling lives for ourselves and others. It is not, as we shall see, a special thing to be found in out-of-the-way places – it is Life itself, flowing, ever-present and abundant.
(2) Spirituality is founded on an appreciation that the world we detect through our five senses is not the ultimate reality. Objects that appear to be solid are not as solid as we think they are. One of the first to understand this was the Greek philosopher Plato. He realised that everything we perceive through our senses is merely an expression of universal ideas or ‘Forms’. These are independent entities which exist whether or not we are aware of them and able to grasp them with the mind. Love, for example, exists in the universe as an idea; we only become aware of it when it enters our experience. Even then, my experience of love may be different from yours. Meanwhile, the idea of love itself remains constant, permanent and unchanging, as do other universal ideas such as wisdom, justice, honesty, beauty and so on. For more than two thousand years, Plato’s theory was just that – a theory – and could not be proved one way or the other. Then at the beginning of the twentieth century it was verified by scientists when quantum physicists discovered a ‘substance’ or ‘energy’ out of which all physical things are formed. In other words, the universe is not solid at all. It is made of energy – and so are you
Love, for example, exists in the universe as an idea; we only become aware of it when it enters our experience. Even then, my experience of love may be different from yours. Meanwhile, the idea of love itself remains constant, permanent and unchanging, as do other universal ideas such as wisdom, justice, honesty, beauty and so on.
The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind.
You are not what you think you are. But what you think YOU ARE!
Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
Never underestimate your power to change yourself.
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Think, act and talk with enthusiasm and you ll attract positive results.
11. Don’t Count On Overnight Success
Before concluding, I’d like to clarify a few things about positive thinking and the power of our thoughts. First of all, positive thinking doesn’t mean that you’ll achieve your goals overnight. It’s not as if you start thinking about making more money and the next morning you wake up and find a stack of dollar bills at your bedside. Not by a long shot.
Success requires effort, commitment and patience.
12. Picture your way to success!
You must first clearly see a thing in your mind before you can do it.
In a television interview, singer Celine Dion was asked if she ever dreamed at the start of her career that someday she’d sell millions of records and be on tour, singing in front of tens of thousands of people each week.
13. Mental movies from childhood
Where do these pictures come from? Well, we begin to develop our “mental movies” early in life. If we were criticized or felt unworthy as youngsters, we record the events (and the feelings associated with those events) as images in our minds. Because we frequently dwell on these pictures (both consciously and subconsciously), we tend to create life situations that correspond to the original image.
14. Take responsibility for your own movies
Not all mental pictures can be traced to your childhood. You’re constantly generating mental movies based on your relationships, career experiences and other events. No matter what the source of your mental images, there’s one point that I want to drive home: You - and only you – are in control of your own movies.
15. Change the meaning of the old movie
It doesn’t serve you to deny what happened in a past experience, no matter how painful or disappointing. You can’t, for instance, change the fact that you were criticized by the teacher. You can, however, alter your interpretation of the event.
- 16. Create New Pictures
- 17. Picture Your Way To Sales Success
- 18. Relax and involve your senses
- 19. Write a check to yourself
- 20. Getting the job you want
- 21. It works both ways
- 22. Lights... Camera... Action
- 23. Make a commitment... and you’ll move mountains!
- 24. The “Magic” Of Commitment
- 25. Doors Will Open